Saturday, January 3, 2009

Jes Visits! - Monkey Park

On the 20th of December, last year - yes, I'm actually this far behind on posting - we went to the monkey park in Arashiyama, a touristy area near here.

I've been to the park before, but not since the beginning of my stay here.

We bicycled to the entrance, paid the five-dollar admission fee, and... spent ten minutes taking turns in the bathroom. During this time, we noticed a rack of shoes that is apparently there so that you can have something decent to wear to walk in. The idea is that you would use these if you came to the park in high heels or something, not knowing that there are somewhat significant slopes involved that would probably be dangerous in heels. I guess I didn't take a picture of it, but I think it's noteworthy, and pretty nifty.

We walked up to the top, and we made it about halfway before Jes and Roxanne start freaking out over the half-seen monkeys near the top, the better part of 100 meters away. Having already had my chance to do that, they thought I was a bit of a spoilsport:"Stop being so grumpy!" Thanks, Jes, I'll try.

Looks like I took one picture on the way up that came out, which you can see to the left.

Some other photographers were around, and SLRs were in no short supply. I saw at least ten different people with various SLRs, and all but three(if you count Roxanne's D40) were in the advanced (eg, Nikon's D300 - $1,600, body only) or pro (eg, Nikon's D3 - $5,000, body only) range. For reference, all the camera gear that I own costs about $1,500. That's about how much the lens the lady in red is using costs. You can say "It's not the size that matters, it's how you use it", but that's not going to make me want that lens any less.

At left, two random pictures of monkeys being monkeys. I think the second one looks kind of evil, even if he's just chewing a chestnut.

One of the funniest things I saw was a little monkey who angered another one, and was rescued by his mother (I assume). The coolest thing is that they had this really cool interception pickup thing going on. See my amazing MSPaint diagram of the action? It was like that, but with monkeys. Action shot at left. You can just see the Chibi Monkey on the stomach. It was pretty awesome to watch. Here's him and his parental monkeys (again, I assume) taunting the pursuer afterwards.

Right:As dirty as this could be to the right minds - you know who you are - I imagine the picture at right was the end of a similar pursuit.

I think the part that Jes enjoyed the most was, by far, getting to feed the monkeys. The feeling of their hands is really strange, and it's very fun. Having fed them plenty already, I resigned myself to taking pictures. Jes has a knack for never looking at the camera when I'm taking pictures, but I did manage to get a few of her that I rather like. She found this really small monkey that kept getting chased off by others, and she would wander back and forth, feeding him. She fed the others as well, but she really seemed to like chibi monkey. I even got Jes and Roxanne to pose at very nearly the same time, for once. This is by far the best picture I've taken of the two of them.


I'm not certain how this scene came about. I want to think she engineered it and isn't just that lucky, but I don't know how she would go about doing that, so...

On that note, I was barely lucky enough to get this shot, which is one of my favorites.


After that, I even had the luck to get Jes to turn around and for her not to notice I was taking her picture until it was too late for her to put on her dour stop-taking-pictures face. Instead she was wearing her "Squee! Monkeys!" face.

We got to the park a little later than we had hoped and they were closing an hour early, but we managed to get our fill of monkeyness before the monkeys left for the mountain and the parkkeepers rounded us up. I got Jes and Roxanne to pose once again before we left, as you can see from this shot next shot of them by the feeding house. This is composed of six or so pictures.
The first time I was putting these pictures together, I was trying to perform other operations on them while that ran. Bad idea, and the mess at right was the result.

Oh, and there's this slide at the end of the whole thing, if stairs are just not your style. It... didn't work so well. Sure, she may look like she's having way too much fun with the slide, but she was bemoaning the kiddy slide's tiny width.

Now, it's 2:45AM and I've got to get some sleep before I head to Osaka tomorrow.

Labels: , ,

3 Comments:

Blogger thots about stuff said...

Your pictures of a fabulous day are a lot of fun! I especially love the "Squee! Monkeys!" face picture of Jes! That's a beautiful picture of her and one of the best I've seen in a long time. Thanks again for sharing your picture-taking talents and for adventuring with us to the monkey park!

8:40 AM GMT+9  
Blogger Komitadjie said...

A slide too small for the kitten? That's amazing, how did they ever manage to engineer that?

9:11 AM GMT+9  
Blogger thots about stuff said...

Who knows? I went down the thing, too, and you can imagine that I had a few more issues...heheh...but it was fun anyway. :)

3:03 PM GMT+9  

Post a Comment

<< Home