Tuesday, October 7, 2008

Interesting Choice of Words

Looking up a compound for some homework, I discovered that there's a kanji compound that means "business" and is pronounced けいき keiki. This is effectively the same way that you say "cake" (ケーキ keeki). Anyway, I was a little curious, and apparently there's a whole list of words prounced "cake" in Japanese:
契機 【けいき】 (n) opportunity, chance, (P)
景気 【けいき】 (n) condition, state, business (condition), (P)
計器 【けいき】 (n) meter, gauge, (P)
刑期 【けいき】 (n) prison term
継起 【けいき】 (n,vs) occurring in succession
軽機 【けいき】 (n) light machine gun
Now I will never know whether or not I want to eat some cake in Japanese again. I'm not going to take the chance that the person's talking about an LMG. Hopefully, I won't find anything dangerous that's pronounced クリームパン kuriimu pan, you know?

Yum.

Labels: , ,

5 Comments:

Blogger thots about stuff said...

WHAT?!! I don't recommend eating an LMG, but if you can get one for the price of a piece of cake....

Oh, wait...no wonder the cake is a lie. It's really a machine gun.

8:33 AM GMT+9  
Blogger William said...

That's... disturbingly accurate.
... Unlike some LMGs.

8:35 AM GMT+9  
Blogger Komitadjie said...

Hell, does that mean I can have my cake, AND an LMG to hose anyone who tries to take it?

11:51 AM GMT+9  
Blogger William said...

Until you eat the whole thing, yes.

5:01 PM GMT+9  
Blogger thots about stuff said...

Apparently it also means occurring in succession, so perhaps then there would just be more cake. Does that mean there is a continuous supply of ammo for the LMG, also?

5:30 PM GMT+9  

Post a Comment

<< Home