Sunday, November 23, 2008

Recon

Since Jes is coming to Japan - and more specifically, coming to Kyoto - in a few weeks, I did some reconnaissance today for churchy things. I managed to accidentally take a different path that led me to a taiyaki stand. Deliciousness.
I also saw the first usage of the character ゐ wi since I got here. It was removed from the language prior to World War One, but I guess you can use it if you want. I asked an old man about it and he didn't seem to think it was strange at all. I have a picture, but I'm honestly too lazy to upload it right now. The sign was written in red and read やすゐ薬局 yasui yakkyoku ("cheap pharmacy").

Labels:

3 Comments:

Blogger Washii said...

That's..kinda cool. I've never seen that.

3:53 PM GMT+9  
Blogger William said...

Slime Forest teaches it to you, along with ヱ/ゑ we in both katakana and hiragana. Wi in katakana is ヰ, which is used as a radical (part of kanji), unlike the others.

3:57 PM GMT+9  
Blogger thots about stuff said...

I've seen it in Slime Forest and on some other reference material. Interesting to know it can be found in use around here.

6:42 PM GMT+9  

Post a Comment

<< Home