Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Calligraphy Ninjing

[I have more pictures than things to actually say about them, but it's not enough to put in a separate gallery, so I'm just going to interject comments or info about the pictures wherever happens to be convenient.
By the way:
If you're in any of these pictures, I can get you higher-quality versions with no trouble at all, so drop me a line if you want 'em.]

I snuck my camera into the calligraphy class today during some free time I had today and I got some pictures.

(To the left is Cristina (Italian) and to the right is Alessia (also Italian). Or at least, I think that's who they are. I also get the two of them mixed up.
Far right is Valentina (also also Italian), my partner in level four.)

After this class is a tea ceremony class, and a bunch of the students wear kimono to it, purportedly because it makes the teacher happy.

(Far left is Yanavy (French), our French-/German-/British-English-speaking language ninja. I have recordings of her accent, which is probably the cutest of the students I know, but there are something like 32 different death threats if I ever show them to anybody, so they're just going to ferment on my hard drive.
Right is Cassie (American, by the window) and Magi (Canadian, closer, light purple kimono).
You can see Sara (Australian) and a guy from level two whose name I don't know in the middle picture.)

(This last picture is of two of the three Koreans in our level four class, Park Sou Jong and Park Min Ji. I honestly have no clue how to romanize their names, so I hope they will forgive me if they see this. Sou Jong is the one with the hat.)

The two characters they were writing that day were 山 yama/san/zan ("mountain") and 寺 tera/dera/ji ("temple"), pronounced together as any combination of the above, or even other random readings I don't know, like 山's yano reading, which is only used for names. That said, if you're rendering it as a normal word, it's pronounced yamadera, meaning "mountain temple".

I believe I may have mentioned that kanji and I are not on the best of terms.

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home