Tuesday, September 2, 2008

Tokyo: Wandering (Day 1)

Yeah, this is the third or fourth post for Day 1. It was by far the most fun day. I spent the first half of it navigating on my own, which was fun. I mean, sure, I was headed to a popular tourist destination that hundreds of thousands of other people have no problems finding every year, but I'm a little... special when it comes to pathfinding. It's an aura I have with me, I think, as people have a tendency to get lost more when I'm around even if I don't say a word.
In the end, I was able to find my way to the "Raumen" museum without getting lost. I think I already said that, though...

So, what'd we do after that?

Well, I met up with Shimpei and his fairly cute girlfriend. You can see the two of them posing on the left. Apparently, she was going to help us navigate the city, and is a "train expert" in Shimpei's words. Oh, her name is Natsumi, though I'm not certain which kanji she writes it with. I haven't checked, but I would assume there are at least ten different ways you can write that name.
I hate kanji.

So we visited some random parts of Tokyo: Ginza... and... other places I don't know the names of. Yeah, I was completely lost and just following our train ninja.

I took the obligatory picture of the Tokyo Tower. Or rather, about 30 of them, when all was said and done.
The sky was pretty bright, but nothing compared to the tower, so I couldn't get them to expose with each other. I didn't realize it was that much of a problem until I got back, or I would've set up a couple shots to make into an HDR picture when I got back. Tried to pano everything together, but to no avail.
I got Natsumi to take this picture of me, but it took us a few tries because I was backlit. She moved the camera a little and blurred the background. Honestly,I think it makes the picture better. It looks cool. Though I'm a little worried for my right kidney and lung, which might have something to say if that part of my body started disappearing.

After about six hours of wandering around Tokyo, we headed back home, where Shimpei and I intended to make some food. Really, though, he made the smart decision and didn't let me try to cook anything, so I just watched. Mabudofu is pretty good, by the way.
Tempura eggplant is not good, by the way.

Saw this random bit of goodness on the way back. I want to make some connection between this and traditional Asian healing practices I don't believe in, but I've got nothing witty for it, really.

After dinner, we basically lazed about until it was time to go to bed. After a day filled with standing up and walking around and riding the train, it was really nice to stop, sit still, and just kind of exist without all the people and noises and... everything.

やっぱり、田舎の人なのね。。。

Labels: , ,

1 Comments:

Blogger thots about stuff said...

Sounds terrific! (Well, everything but the tempura eggplant, that is).

HAC DRUG, eh...sort of builds up your confidence about what you'll find in there, yes?!!

8:20 PM GMT+9  

Post a Comment

<< Home