Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Rice and Water... Disaster?

I went to make another batch of rice last night only to discover a couple of flies flying around in the bag. To me, that says there's probably something in there that I don't really want to know about, much less eat, so I grabbed it by the top, twisted it shut, and tossed it in the trash. Unfortunately, I was not smart enough to get a reserve bag of rice, which I fully intend to do soon. I understand the Japanese disaster recovery system blows, and it sometimes takes a long time to get basic services back. Having enough rice to eat for a week or two set aside seems like a good way to at least combat that somewhat. Rice in an airtight bag should last quite a while, I think.

I have 10 liters of water store in bottles that are completely full and under negative pressure to inhibit bacterial growth. It's not enough (about two and a half gallons), but it's something I only recently started building up with bottles as I use them. It's potable water to last me a few days if I don't wash my dishes and whatnot. I regularly use the same bowl for weeks, so that's not really an issue, though going without showering or clean clothes would kind of suck. I'm slowly adding to it, but I'm going to need to move some of it outside soon so it doesn't take up too much floorspace.

I've heard that you should expect to use five gallons of water per day per person, but that seems awfully high to me. In addition, it's simply unreasonable to expect to be able to store that much water. For reference, the big jugs on water coolers are usually five-gallon (19 liters) containers. Imagine having seven of those in your living room and you can see why I think that's a little unreasonable.

Labels: , ,

1 Comments:

Blogger thots about stuff said...

What a good idea.

I think that I have heard that 5 gallons is what you would normally use, but in a disaster situation you would use about 2 liters of water per day, which is still a lot. Some people put a few jugs of just random water by their toilets to flush, also, but you could also use random river water (you'd obviously have to go get it and carry it)...but in a bucket of something to dump down it once a day...or as needed, ya know. So having a random bucket, even if you don't have it filled, might be a good idea.

There are a lot of websites on two-week emergency prep kits and such. It sounds like something you have looked at already, but if not, there are some great ideas out there.

6:27 PM GMT+9  

Post a Comment

<< Home