Tuesday, June 24, 2008

G8

Oh! I completely forgot to mention it, but I was wandering around looking for an arcade in Kawaramachi and was stopped by a policewoman who very, very politely (and nicely!) informed me that you're not allowed to ride a bike in that particular area because it's dangerous on both the sidewalk and the road. For how many police officers Japan is supposed to have, I don't see them very often, so I was surprised to see about twelve of them in one area.

As it would turn out, G8 apparently met in Japan this year (in Hokkaido, though...) and this had something to do with that, according to a policeman I asked. The cops in this group that I looked at were carrying batons and some light gear, but not the heavier loadout and bulletproof vest you see the beat cops wearing. Also, I didn't see any guns present.
Just, you know, for the record.

Labels: ,

4 Comments:

Blogger Komitadjie said...

That's not at all surprising, from what I've read, if you have a decent sidearm over there, you might as well be driving a tank.

1:49 AM GMT+9  
Blogger thots about stuff said...

So did you find an arcade after all that?

I looked up G8 to see where/when they meet and such...and supposedly they aren't meeting until July 7-9 in Hokkaido, so perhaps some of the people are doing tours or other business or something prior to that. I forgot they rotated through the various member countries in a specific order.

1:57 AM GMT+9  
Blogger William said...

You're not far off, KMD. I'll remember to ask cops for pictures when I see them from now on.

Yeah, I found the arcade and played DDR for an hour.

I realized after a set that I still had my waterproof pants on.

12:50 PM GMT+9  
Blogger thots about stuff said...

Glad you got to play DDR...in waterproof pants...LOL.

8:07 PM GMT+9  

Post a Comment

<< Home