Sunday, May 11, 2008

My First Karaoke Experience

Yesterday was originally going to be a barbecue, as I mentioned, but it was changed to an indoor party-shaped thing.
Ended up going to karaoke instead of bowling, because bowling is apparently $15 an hour. Plus shoe rental. Karaoke is $8 a person for however long we wanted to be there, I think. Seems pretty pricey, but they gave us a room about bigger than one of the living rooms at the Chamith house, so that's not too amazing.
Well, and there were 17 of us.

So, my thoughts on karaoke: it blew.

Room that size, three or four people started chain smoking, with another three or four lighting up at various times. I stayed for an hour, but gave up after I sampled some nice, breathable outside air.

The karaoke itself actually looked pretty fun, but people kept standing up in front of screen and seemed to not know they were doing it, so the people singing would just stand there and wait for them to move out of the way. I can see such a get-together being fun with friends, but with almost 20 people I don't know... not so much.

I won't base my evaluation of karaoke in general on this experience, because I recognize that it is very likely extraordinarily bad.

[Edit: Apparently it's not clear that I didn't sing. I don't sing, as many of you know, and I didn't yesterday, either.]

Labels: ,

5 Comments:

Blogger thots about stuff said...

Ah, bummer about the smoking and such...blah. However, yeah, it could be fun with a group of friends rather than random people. I hope you have better luck if you try it again.
It sounds like it could be interesting under different circumstances.

8:34 AM GMT+9  
Blogger thots about stuff said...

Actually, your voice is quite nice, and we have heard you sing! So what if you miss a pitch or two now and then...besides, the more you sing the better you get at it.

10:59 AM GMT+9  
Blogger Komitadjie said...

I seem to remember telling you that you needed to pack a case of CS 'nades with you, but nobody ever listens to me. I'm guessing that with CS, your smoke would WIN.

6:13 AM GMT+9  
Blogger thots about stuff said...

Indeed, that would have cleared the area.

9:12 AM GMT+9  
Blogger William said...

Actually, if you can find a way to send me a pack, I could put them to great use. I know this subway...
I'm kidding of course.

3:39 PM GMT+9  

Post a Comment

<< Home