Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Bicycles

When I first got here, I bought a bicycle. Seriously, within the first week, I think it was. It was a $50 POS bike, but it hauled me around for three months before I upgraded to a new $260 bike that my dad sent me money for (on top of the piles of cash he normally sends to keep my mooching butt afloat!). I lent my old bike to a friend who left a few days later and it was stolen some time after he returned it, around the beginning of August. No biggie, though, 'cause I still have my new bike. Right?

Well, when I went to Tokyo, my new bike was stolen. After not quite two months of owning it. So much for Japanese crime rates, I guess. At right is an artists rendition of me upon discovering my bike stolen. Sure it, it sucks, but it's the best I could get for two pieces of gum and some pocket lint.

The weird thing is that they were both locked up, and I still have both keys for both bikes' locks.

Anyway, I went to the police last week and reported that my bike had been stolen, but in a bizarre twist of paper shuffling, I told them my new bike had the numbers from my old bike, and when I discovered the new bike's registration the next day, I went down to the police station and sorted the matter out, which only took about an hour. The police now have the right number for my now-stolen, two-month old, $260 bike.

That was all last week. A week and seven trips to the police station later, I have a case number, which I can use to take advantage of the insurance policy that I got on my new bike. It only covers half the cost, but that's $130 more than nothing, and I'm sure going to take it. I'll probably end up spending another $20 or so to get a bike that isn't a mamacheri (mama's bike) and that is the right size.

Labels: ,

9 Comments:

Blogger Komitadjie said...

And how about loading this one with some thief-b-gone? Say, about five pounds of remotely triggered semtex, or perhaps a high-pressure canister of CS gas?

10:24 PM GMT+9  
Blogger William said...

You send me some, and I'll get on it. Let me set up a PO in someone else's name first.

10:43 PM GMT+9  
Blogger thots about stuff said...

Yeah, or a carefully placed snap trap that can be remotely set and unset.

9:01 AM GMT+9  
Blogger William said...

thots about stuff had a quadruple post due to some kind connection failure, I guess. I think the way they vary is funny, so here's what she said:
Yeah, or a snap trap...carefully placed, and remotely set and unset somehow.
Yeah, or a carefully placed snap trap that can be remotely set and unset.
Yeah, or a carefully placed snap trap that can be remotely set and unset.
Yeah, or perhaps a strategically placed snap trap that can be remotely set and unset.

12:22 PM GMT+9  
Blogger Komitadjie said...

The trick is to do it with available materials, and still have it safe and reliable when you don't want it set. An unstable charge would not help a bit.

2:24 PM GMT+9  
Blogger thots about stuff said...

Okay, this thing just keeps going crazier...cause there used to be another comment from Komitadjie, and now Will's comments are double-posted, also. It took over an hour for one of my comments to post, which is why I tried reposting...it's like the whole thing, for this particular comments section has gone bananas. It keeps changing or something and is really weird.

9:51 PM GMT+9  
Blogger thots about stuff said...

Okay, and now it just went from 10 comments to 6. Before it went from 9 to 5. It just keeps doing stranger stuff. Additionally, the comment which I posted a few minutes ago isn't here yet, when it usually takes only a few minutes to post them, and some other comments showed up that had been here, then gone, then back again. I have never seen this blog act like this. And it is a computer, but maybe it feels like I do today, which isn't particularly good.

9:54 PM GMT+9  
Blogger William said...

There's nothing crazy about it. I was simply cleaning out the posts. I can't say anything about how long it takes to update, since that gets on my nerves occasionally, but the rest is all pretty sane.
By the way, Starship Troopers 3 = ?
So weird. At least not as stupid as Starship Troopers 2.

1:23 AM GMT+9  
Blogger Komitadjie said...

I only watched the first one, after reading the book it just felt SO lame.

2:45 PM GMT+9  

Post a Comment

<< Home